Who We Are
In November 1956, the Ardmore Baptist Missions, now known as Sweet Springs Baptist Church, was founded by Mr. Dyke Shannon. The first pastor of the church was Bro. Chester Jones.
In 1958 a 2/3 acre was purchased from Mrs. Cora Claunch, and the footing of the foundation of the church at its present site was poured on August 2. In 1961, an east wing extension was added to the church. In the early 70's a west wing, bathrooms, and a baptistry was added, along with bricking on the outside. The purchase of an additional 9 2/3 acres was made around this time to give the church a total of ten acres of land.
In 1982, after 24 years of faithful service to the church, Bro. Jones resigned as pastor. Two months later, Bro. Ray Stewart became the new pastor. He served in this capacity for nine months at which he resigned to return to his native West Virginia.
In December 1983, Bro. Wallace Missildine became our pastor where he served for 8 years. Under his leadership, the church built a new pastorium in 1984. Soon after, in 1987, Sweet Springs added a new auditorium in which our congregation still meets today.
In 1991, Gerald Meyer's became our pastor where he served for 3 years. He has since served as a missionary in Uganda, East Africa and now in South Africa the last nine years.
In 1994, Joel Logan became the pastor and continued in that capacity for 22 years until taking the pastorate of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Greenville, SC, started by the late Harold B. Sightler. Under his leadership, the fellowship hall was converted to an educational building in 2005, a pavilion was added in 2007, and the pastorium was converted into a missions house in 2014 and has hosted many of God's finest ministers.
In 2016, Brent Logan accepted the call to pastor our church and presently continues in that position. He was the former pastor of Spring City Baptist Church in Cleveland, VA for 11 years and also was a church planting missionary for 12 years in Romania, Greece, and the United States.
We at Sweet Springs can look back over the years and see just how greatly the Lord has blessed us. We have grown not only in size and number but in faith and strength. We now support more than 80 missionary families; we have three van routes, provide two children's churches, and preaching services for the many seniors who are confined to our local nursing homes. It is easy to see how the Lord has blessed the church over the years, and with good and faithful members, we know that the Lord will continue to bless us even more.
26250 Sweet Springs Rd Ardmore, AL 35739
E: firstname.lastname@example.org | P: 256.423.6237